Translation of measuring device software into Python
At IMK-AAF we run many in-house developed measurement instruments for our research, which we also like to share and develop further with partners and colleagues. However, this "open hardware" idea cannot yet be continued to the data logger and data acquisition software, as this is mostly written in the proprietary and cost-intensive LabView programming language (graphical programming language based on the data flow model, National Instruments).
In this work, an existing software package for data acquisition and processing written in LabView will be implemented in Python. For later maintainability, further development and distribution, a Git version control and documentation is to be established.
- Implementation of a data readout routine via the device interfaces (USB, serial)
- Implementation of data transfer into an existing MySQL database
- GUI to start, setup, configure and stop the experiment with real-time visualization of data and parameters
- "Translation" of the existing data analysis programs from LabView to Python
- Experience with reading data via device interfaces
- version control
- relational databases, SQL
6 months with the option of extension